There are many reasons why you might want to store your items long term. Maybe you’re moving abroad or embarking on an ambitious home renovation project. Or maybe you simply want to know how to store books long term in a climate-controlled storage unit.
No matter what your reason is, renting out a long-term personal storage unit is a great solution.
So how do long-term storage units work? Keep reading to find out.
How Long-Term Storage Units Work
Storage units offer you the extra space you need to store your belongings for the long term.
Units can come in a variety of sizes. Whether you need to store your entire furniture collection or just a few odds and ends while you’re moving out of your home, there’s a self-storage unit that can suit your needs.
Many long-term storage facilities also provide storage for boats, RVs, and other vehicles if you’d like to store those items too. For instance, our car storage unit facilities offer:
- Security camera monitoring
- Individual storage unit door alarms
- Keypad controlled access
- Drive-up accessibility
- Climate controlled storage environments (at select locations)
- Month-to-month lease renewal options
- Free concierge service
5 Tips For Long Term Storage
As you arrange for your long-term storage, make sure to follow these tips and tricks:
#1 Choose Your Storage Unit Size Strategically
Storage units come in many sizes. While you don’t want to get a unit that’s too small, you also don’t want to pay for a unit that’s unnecessarily big.
You can find storage units ranging from the size of a walk-in closet up to the size of a large garage. Choose your size according to your personal storage needs!
#2 Consider Climate-Controlled Storage
Depending on what you’re storing long term, you might want to rent out a unit that offers climate control. These units keep the temperature and humidity levels stable all year round.
Climate-controlled units protect your belongings from harmful heat and humidity fluctuations that contribute to mold, mildew, pest infiltrations, and heat-related damage.
The following items benefit greatly from climate-controlled storage:
- Metal, upholstery, and wood furniture
- Leather products
- Important documents and photographs
- Musical instruments
#3 Pack Your Items Properly
Once you’ve rented out your unit, you need to pack your items. If you’re wondering how to pack for long-term storage, here are some tips:
- Clean items before packing – If you’re storing kitchen appliances or anything else that may carry traces of food, give them a good cleaning beforehand. Food particles can attract rodents during long-term storage.
- Wrap fragile items – Make sure to properly insulate your breakable items with bubble wrap, packing paper, or cloth towels.
- Use vacuum-sealed bags – Vacuum sealed bags are a great storage option for clothing, linens, and towels. They suck out the air from these items, making them much more compact.
- Pack boxes with weight in mind – To prevent damage, you should place the heaviest items at the bottom of your boxes and the lighter items on top.
By using these packing techniques, your stored items should stay in good condition throughout the entire storage duration.
#4 Arrange Your Storage Unit Strategically
Once your belongings are packed, it’s time to place them in the storage unit.
Here’s how to load them into your storage unit strategically:
- Clearly label the contents of your boxes and containers beforehand.
- Arrange your boxes according to how often you plan to access them. Put the boxes you don’t plan on touching in the very back. Keep the boxes you might need to access closer to the front. By arranging them this way, you won’t need to shuffle boxes around later on.
- Stack boxes on top of wood pallets to keep them off the ground. This will provide them with more ventilation.
- Consider installing shelving in your storage unit. Shelves will improve your storage unit organization and help you optimize your space.
#5 Set Up Automatic Storage Unit Payments
Once your storage unit is organized and ready to go, there’s one last step: see if you can set up automatic payments with your storage facility.
Automatic payments make your life much easier by conveniently withdrawing monthly rental fees from your bank account. In turn, you’ll never need to worry about making your payments on time.
How Much Does Long Term Storage Cost?
Speaking of payments, how much does a storage unit cost when rented out long term?
The rate of your storage unit will be determined by your chosen features and specifications, including the:
- Unit size – The larger the unit, the higher the cost.
- Unit accessibility – Storage units are accessible from either indoors or outdoors depending on the facility.
- Special features – If you choose a storage unit with specialized security features or climate control, it might cost a little more each month. Additionally, the price can vary depending on if your storage unit has metal, brick, or plywood walls.
- Rental season – Some storage units cost more to rent out during certain seasons. For example, demand is higher in summer months, therefore you can expect that rates will be higher.
- Insurance costs – Many storage providers require you to purchase rental insurance or a protection plan for damage/fire coverage on your stored items.
Price Self Storage: Long-Term Storage Solutions
If you need a long term storage solution, look no further than Price Self Storage.
Price Self Storage provides flexible month-to-month leases on storage units, enabling you to store your stuff for as long as you need.
Price Self Storage also offers a variety of storage unit sizes, indoor and outdoor options, and plenty of special features, like security cameras, alarm systems, and climate control for select units. Servicing Los Angeles storage, San Diego storage, Walnut Creek storage and beyond, California residents can enjoy convenience and peace of mind when they store with us. Learn more about our storage service from Self Price Storage today!
Self Storage Association. Data Spotlight: Climate Control. https://www.selfstorage.org/Blog/ArticleID/6/Data-Spotlight-Climate-Control
SpareFoot. U.S. Self-Storage Industry Statistics. https://www.sparefoot.com/self-storage/news/1432-self-storage-industry-statistics/