Your dream backyard has the potential to be your personal oasis, a place to escape to on sunny summer days when the only thing on your to-do list is recline, unwind, and repeat.
To curate the backyard of your dreams, we’ve compiled five incredible backyard renovation ideas to transform your outdoor space into a relaxing retreat, from landscaping designs to personal storage ideas.
#1 Install a Fire Pit
A backyard fire pit is a backyard makeover idea that’s a guaranteed way to enliven your outdoor area. Since our earliest days, fires have been instrumental in sparking conversation, camaraderie, and more than a few scary stories.
And the best part? Installing one in your backyard couldn’t be easier.
When it comes to choosing your fire pit, you have a couple of options:
- Portable fire pit – These moveable pits are open containers that use either wood or propane fuel to generate fire. They come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit any landscape design. Plus, their portability allows you to make any backyard space cozy, whether you’re lounging under the pergola or near the pool deck.
- Permanent fire pit – There are do-it-yourself methods for constructing a safe outdoor fireplace. You can also work with a retailer to design a pit that’s customized to your backyard patio. If you’re striving to curate a cottage-like ambiance, consider rounded stones. And a bricked fire pit is the perfect accent piece of a Midcentury Modern outdoor space.
#2 Bring the Inside Outside
Get the most out of warm days and nights with a backyard space that implements all the comforts of an indoor living room, such as:
- Comfortable seating – A soft place to sit is absolutely crucial to any backyard renovation. Consider patio furniture with cozy padding, upholstered outdoor sectionals, ottomans, and even dreamy daybeds. If you have old outdoor furniture that you aren’t quite ready to part with, you can store it in a self-storage unit until you need it again. Make sure to read up on how to protect patio furniture so that any furniture that you decide to add to your backyard doesn’t get any unnecessary damage from the elements.
- Outdoor rugs – Rugs that are specifically designed for outdoors can elevate your outdoor seating area, whether you use them on your patio, deck, or grass.
- Outdoor kitchen and dining – The days of modest charcoal grills are gone. Nowadays, luxe outdoor spaces feature full-scale outdoor kitchens where you can prepare entire meals. And since no kitchen is complete without a place to eat, be sure to transform your patio into an outdoor dining room with chic picnic furnishings.
- Outdoor theater – You can easily turn your backyard into an alfresco movie theater by picking up a digital projector. Some models feature smartphone compatibility, so you can stream your favorite flicks right from your phone. You can buy an outdoor projector screen or hang a white sheet over your fence for viewing.
#3 Use Your Vertical Space
When you’re conducting a backyard renovation, make sure you think about the space above your head. Yes, you want an immaculately landscaped lawn, native plants, comfy outdoor seating, and maybe even a fountain or two. But maximizing your yard’s vertical space is one of the best patio organization ideas when it comes to adding texture and character.
Here are three ideas for taking your backyard renovation vertical:
- Trellises – Generally made from either metal or wood, trellises feature crosshatching or latticework for spatial division without obstructing movement from space to space. For extra impact, you can plant morning glories, climbing hydrangeas, or bougainvillea to grow up the trellis.1
- Pergolas – Pergolas create a breezy outdoor living space that’s perfect for lounging, napping, or reading. They feature four pillars that support a network of rafters overhead, allowing them to temper direct sunlight. Whether you build a pergola on your lawn or over your patio, they’re an excellent way to add dimension and elegance to your backyard.
- Gazebos – Traditionally found in public spaces like parks and gardens, gazebos also have a place in your backyard renovation. If your outdoor aesthetic runs toward classic and serene, a backyard gazebo is the way to go. It also provides shelter from the elements, making for the perfect respite on a rainy day.
#4 Add a Water Element
With a water feature in your backyard remodel, you can elevate the sights and sounds of your outdoor living space. Whether you want to be soothed by the sound of trickling water or want to cool off on a hot summer’s day, water elements can make your outdoor space dynamic and energetic.2
When looking for water features, consider the following:
- Swimming pools
#5 Let There Be Light
No list of backyard renovation ideas is complete without outdoor lighting. Twinkling lights strung from porch ceilings or tree branches light up your space and allow you and your loved ones to continue the outdoor festivities even after the sun goes down.
Here are two easy ways to light things up out back:
- String lights – If you’re adding a pergola or trellis to your backyard, you can use string lights as overhead lighting. Free stringing lights along your fence can also help to create more visual space within your yard.
- Path lighting – Path lights serve a dual purpose. They can act as safety precautions for your patios, paths, and walkways and they’re visually stunning design elements.
Price Self Storage: For All Your Storage Needs
When renovating your backyard, fire pits, comfortable furniture, unique design elements, and outdoor lighting can transform your outdoor space into an alfresco wonderland fit for family events, evening get-togethers, and solo respites.
Once you’ve whipped your backyard into shape, you might be inspired to tackle other notoriously cluttered areas of your home, like your garage or outdoor storage shed. And if decluttering is your aim, Price Self Storage is here to help. Check out our storage size chart to find out what storage space you need for your outdoor living space.
For a range of unit sizes for all your storage needs, affordable prices, and dozens of convenient locations, choose Price Self Storage.
- Plant Care Today. Flowering Vines: What Are 10 of the Best Trellis Plants? https://plantcaretoday.com/trellis-plants.html
- St. Louis Magazine. Catching the Waves: Why The Sound of Water Soothes Us. https://www.stlmag.com/health/catching-the-waves-why-the-sound-of-water-soothes-us/